Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ranking Noble Tasks

My friend, Ray, asked me to evaluate the following quote: "Man has no nobler function than to defend the truth." What do I think of it? Do I agree or disagree with it? And why? Here goes...

“No nobler function”…hmmm. Sounds like a “What’s the chief end of man” kind of question. I’ll follow the Westminster Confession of Faith and say that that noblest function of a man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Now defending the truth is certainly a sub-category of that. We can indeed glorify God and enjoy Him through apologetics. And we certainly have Scriptural admonitions for us to defend the truth--e.g., Titus 1:9 “be able to…rebuke those who contradict [sound doctrine]”; 1 Peter 3:15 "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” However, you could defend your faith in an arrogant, mean-spirited way. A way that was not "with gentleness and respect." You be puffed up in your spiritual discernment, condescending to unbelievers, acting as if your spiritual life and knowledge was not given to you. That would not be glorifying God. But if the quote means: "Man has no nobler function than to defend the truth in the right spirit," it's still a difficult question.

Of course, there is no question that defending the truth is a noble endeavor. We stand today with the truth that we have because of legions of persecuted saints, and even martyrs, who defended the truth. But is defending the truth nobler than other Christian duties? Is it nobler than prayer? Is it nobler than worship? Is it nobler than sacrificial giving? Is it nobler than extending mercy to the helpless? I don’t think that it is. In fact, it may be a 500-way tie for first. What I mean is that we are to be glorifying God in all we do: “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Col 3:17, compare also v. 23-24). So, I guess my answer is that I don't think it is the noblest function of man, but rather one of many, many functions of man that are of the highest nobility.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny -- I dropped in on your blog just after I'd responded to Ray's question -- so I'll copy my post here. This quote is a great example of the importance of defining your terms. You used different definitions -- therefore came to a different conclusion. By your definintions I agree with you. Here's how I defined it and responded:

Jesus said: “For this reason I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” John 18:37

Paul makes it clear in Col. 1:5 (among other places) that the truth is the Gospel. (As you articulated tremendously in your SS lesson this past week. Well Done!)

It is through the Gospel that we see God, it is the power of God unto salvation. It is by living according to the transforming power of the Gospel that we glorify God and enjoy him (according to His rule, namely the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament, given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him.)

Jesus said that you are either for me or against me.

We “defend” our beliefs by our behavior – we live what we really believe.

So – if we agree on these definitions then you could re-word the quote: “Man has no nobler function than to demonstrate by his behavior that he believes the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”

To this I agree.

My 2cents.

Teren

Jeff said...

Hahah...And I too agree with your position based on your definitions.

Anonymous said...

is nobler a word? You know what nobler means don't you . . . .

:-O