Saturday, October 6, 2007

Gospel Fruit

In Paul's letter to the Colossian believers (who he has never met), he thanks God for the report of their faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that they have for the saints (1:3-4). Was he buttering up these believers he had never met, so that they'd hear what he was going to write thereafter? I don't believe that to be true, though my friend, Teren, makes a good point in this regard: that the Apostle giving thanks for this little-known church's faith and love would have been a great encouragement to them. Notwithstanding that wonderful benefit, his focus is on God in this prayer of thanksgiving. Even Paul's greeting--"Grace to you and peace" (v.2b)--is originates in "God our Father." "Grace and peace from God" is actually a short-hand way of referring to the gospel. It seems to be said with a two-fold purpose. It's as if he is both commending them to live in light of God's gospel of grace and peace, and at the same time asking God to shower them with those gospel realities: "Brothers, live in grace and peace that comes from God....God, grant these brothers grace and peace." What follows is a thanksgiving to God for their faith and love, which are the proper responses to and fruits growing out of the gospel.

How I pray for gospel fruits in my life! Rotten sin fruit seems to lay at my feet more often than not. How many times I fail to place my faith in Christ. How many times I trust in my own abilities or in approval from others. And, oh, how often I fail to live in sacrifice for others. If only I could have this question ready on my lips: "How can I best serve my brother?". . . and then be willing to put the anwer into action.

I need to daily repent of my lack of faith and lack of love, and then ask Jesus to change my heart and give me the right inclinations. Only He can cause me to be satisfied in my relationship with Him when other relationships are crumbling. Only He can shatter the self-serving shield around my heart so I can consider serving others. Trusting my Savior and loving my brother are gospel fruits that I must pray for. I need to preach the gospel to myself: Grace to me and peace to me from God my Father . . . so I can bear gospel fruit.

No comments: