Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ponderings on Colossians

Good intentions...covered in dust. That's what this blog has become. It was a good idea: Use this blog as a way to learn, practice and cultivate a cross-empowered way of thinking and living. Then my actual effort was required, and it falls on its face. This, unfortunately, is a common theme in my life. I daresay it is a common theme to all men's lives. So, how can I hope to take "good intentions" and turn them into good practices?

It turns out that Paul speaks to the Colossians about this very thing. (Providentially, I begin a Sunday School Series going through Colossians this weekend and spent a good deal of time in that book). Consider Colossians 1:5b-6 as it relates to 1:10-11. Here is the entire context (1:3-14) in which those verses are found:

3We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, 5because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, 6which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing—as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth, 7just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf 8and has made known to us your love in the Spirit.
9And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.


I am focusing on three things that Paul is saying to his brothers (and to me) here:
  • First, the gospel bears fruit all over the world, but specifically in your lives since your conversion (vv.5b-6).
  • Second, pleasing God by living rightly is the kind of fruit that the gospel produces (v.10)
  • Third, sustained periods of right living (e.g., patience, endurance) is accomplished as we are strengthened with God's own power. (vv.11).

These truths are simple, yet awe-inspiring. The gospel in me results in God empowering me for significant, lasting periods of righteous living. This is applicable to every "good intention" I have as a Christian. I needn't live in defeat and despair. When I hear, "Be holy for I am holy," I know that holy fruit is possible through the power of God's gospel. When I hear, "sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints," I know that such purity is gospel fruit that is obtainable through His might.

As encouraging as this is, there is a criticism to this constant gospel-centered approach to things. It runs like this: "Waiting for God to do things for you is being spiritually lazy. You can't just keep sinning, because you don't have the power for spiritual success within you." It's an argument that needs answered. The objection is based on a wrong premise. The objection--which is much the same as the objection to God's sovereign control over all things--is based upon the belief that gospel-powered living is, at its core, fatalism. Gospel-powered living, however, doesn't say, "I hope God saves me from my evil desires. If not, it's His fault." That's not what Paul is teaching about being strengthened with God's glorious might. The basic question, then, that needs to be answered is: How does a believer avail himself of God's might (and thus have spiritual success)?

Before I even attempt an answer, I have to first acknowledge that the Scriptures proclaim that we can avail ourselves of His supernatural power. In talking to my friend, Dan, about this he reminded me of the great promise of 2 Peter 1:3 ("His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence"). So, whether I understand perfectly how it works or not, it is a foregone conclusion that this power is, in fact, available to God's people!

But, let me try to provide at least the beginning of an answer. It's important to note this passage is in the context of Paul telling his brothers that he prays for them to bear fruit through God's power. This can't be overlooked. James 4:2-3 tells us that we continue battling out of our own sinful desires because we don't ask God to help us. So, the first action item for the believer is to ask God to grant you his power to succeed. We should be bold and ask God to help us. (Incidentally, have you ever wonder why we need to be constantly reminded of this simple action item?)

Second, is to have faith. Set your heart on Christ! Look to Him as your Savior for this trial rather than to yourself. Hope in His rescue, His provision, His might.

How do we avail ourselves of everything we need for life and godliness? How can I hope to be faithful in things like meditating on the Word and posting those meditations here? Pray and hope in the gospel.

2 comments:

Name: Karen said...

5 Months later........he posts! Ha Ha
Just giving you a hard time.

Blogging is a discipline like everything else we all are comitted to. Like me starting to work out at 5:30 a.m. It is going to take a heavy dose of discipline to continue. I don't want to get up at 5. Perserverence.

I've found w/blogging that as I read friends blogs or other ministries blogs, I have gleaned so much--that is what many times keeps me going--that coupled w/the sanctification process that comes from the result of me blogging and reading others, that push me a little further than I was in my walk, than before I read it.

Kudos for not scrapping it--but for trying again.
Karen

Name: Karen said...

that would be committed w/2 m's