Friday, April 13, 2007

How Much Are They Worth?

In reading through 1 Corinthians I am being impressed by the fact that I need to be reminded again and again that I have no intrinsic value. Any worth that I have to the church is because of Christ. God didn't look around for the smart and talented people and choose them because He would then have a lot to work with to build His church. I know this. But my wicked, prideful heart always wanders away from this truth and tries to come up with some scheme in which I bring something to the table. My value comes from the fact that Christ bought me back from my sin. I need reminding. 1 Corinthians 12:27 says: "Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." I read that and am reminded that what makes me special is that I, along with all my brothers and sisters, are part of Christ's church. And Christ church was bought with His own blood. I had nothing to do with constructing Christ's church. My individuality only is important as I serve the whole. This is said plainly: "As it is there are many parts, but one body." (12:20, see also v.12). It also makes it clear that my ability to serve is also not due to myself: "All these [gifts] are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills." (12:11, see also vv.4-7).

The necessity for Christ to die and buy each believer back from death puts us all on the same level. It didn't cost Christ more to buy me than my brother. The fact that the quiet introvert who loves to pray, the gregarious business man who loves to give sacrificially, and the charismatic lady who loves to teach other women all had to be redeemed by Christ, speaks to the fact that they are all of equal value. Each one cost God the same amount: His Son. Because of that fact, everyone in the church is of the same worth to God and, as such, should be of the same worth to each other. Each man is priceless to God because He spent His Son for each. That should impact the way I view my fellow believers. Each Christian is priceless to God because of Christ. This is the basis for unity in the church. That is why Paul is hammering the Corinthians (through multiple topics) to sacrifice for each other, love one another, use their gifts for one another. In so doing, they will agree with God's view of the church.

One passage that really brings this out is 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 dealing with Communion and the Corinthinans' lack of concern for one another. Paul asks this biting question: "[D]o you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing?" (v.22). And later warns them: "For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judge ourselves truly, we would not be judged." Much could be said here, but the general principle I take from this passage is that when I fail to sacrificially love my brothers, I fail to judge correctly (i.e., that we are of the same value to God) and reveal that at some level I hate God's church. What a terrible, sinful attiude! When I put myself first, my behavior is contrary to the gospel. The death of the Savior needs to impact how I view and treat others. I reflect the love of Jesus when I die to self for the benefit of the church.

No comments: